The Great Gatsby is so embedded in our cultural consciousness that it’s sometimes hard to remember why it’s remembered. It’s because it’s great. Fitzgerald has a way of writing poetically, but never sinking to levels of purple prose. Instead, he’s accurate. His sentences are like word photographs.
Here are twenty of those lines. They are relatable and hard to forget. They’re the sort of lines you hear and then your personality changes. Are you hyped? Are you excited to have a different personality?
1. And I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy.
2. Life is much more successfully looked at from a single window.
3. There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.
4. His dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him.
5. Their eyes met and they stared together at each other, alone in space.
Continue reading all 20 lines Bookstr